Start your year with these creative opportunities. Join Cupertino Poet Laureate Ann Muto for a series of poetry sessions the first quarter of 2017. To reserve space, please send a message with your contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NATURE POETRY SESSIONS at McClellan Ranch Preserve – Environmental Education Center – Starts on February 1, culminates on April 8. All sessions are at no charge, thanks to our sponsors.
- Feb.1, 2017– 10:00 am to 12:00 pm – ages 18 and up.
The first session begins with a nature walk led by Naturalist Barbara Banfield who will bring McClellan Ranch Preserve (MRP) to life as she shares her love and knowledge of this unique preserve in Cupertino. Poems about nature’s allure and power will be the content of the workshop which will include time to write and share in small groups.
- Feb.15, 2017– 10:00 am to 12:00 pm – ages 18 and up.
Facilitated by Poet Laureate Ann Muto, participants will emulate William Stafford’s posting of poems along the Methow River in Washington State in the form of a McClellan Ranch Preserve Poetic Record – a collection of poems documenting winter turning to spring in MRP. The workshop will include time to write and share in small groups.
- March 11, 2017– 10:00 am to 12:00 pm – Haiku workshop – ages 14 and up. Maximum of 15 participants / Registration required. Patricia Machmiller of the Yuki Teikei Haiku Society will lead an interactive workshop offering another form of poetry for the McClellan Ranch Poetry Record.
- Mar. 22, 2017– 10:00 am to 12:00 pm – ages 18 and up.
A working session to put together the McClellan Poetry Record to be “gifted” to McClellan Ranch Preserve on Sat. Apr. 8th.
- Apr.8, 2017 – 10 am to 12:45 pm Children’s Nature Walk/Poetry Workshop/ Open Mic – ages 10-14. Maximum of 12 children / Registration required.
Naturalist Barbara Banfield and Cupertino Poet Laureate Ann Muto team up again to provide a nature walk/poetry workshop for children to be followed by a reception and an Open Mic to be shared with readings from the McClellan Poetry Record.
- Apr, 8, 2017– 11:30 am to 12:45 pm – all ages
Reception shared with the children’s workshop followed by readings from the McClellan Poetry Record, Open Mic and the presentation of McClellan Poetry Record to McClellan Ranch Preserve. Announcement of city-wide poetry contest.
THURSDAY EVENING SESSIONS –7:00 to 8:30 pm @ Cupertino Library Story Room
- JANUARY 26 – Poetry Circle @ Cupertino Library
One of the local ongoing poetry groups which typically meets at the Northwest YMCA moves their meeting to the library on this day to introduce themselves to Cupertino residents interested in poetry. Ron Miller will introduce the group to attendees and invite all to participate in a lively reading and appreciation of poetry. Attendees are asked to bring a favorite poem or one of their own poems to share with the group; please bring copies to distribute to those present. Limited to 25 attendees.
- MARCH 30 – “Write to the End” @ Cupertino Library
Another of the local writing groups that typically meets on Tuesday nights but will make this special effort to introduce themselves to Cupertino residents interested in writing. Keiko O’Leary will introduce the group to attendees. All will be invited to participate by writing poetry or prose in 20-minute segments and to share what was written with the group. Limited to 25 attendees.